Saturday, February 2, 2013

Family reunions and a special heritage family layout

Hi Folks,

Sorry that it has been awhile since my last post- i have been lucky enough to have a few days off to spend with my family in Nelson this week. My youngest sister is back from Perth for a week so my sisters and i spent the weekend with the kids in CHCh and then we made tracks up to Nelson to have some quality time together with our mum. We usually only get together in one place about every 3 years so it is always a nice time to catch up.

It was lovely and sunny and hot in Nelson and we packed a fair bit into our 2 days together. The highlight was going to Melrose House in Nelson - a beautiful old house with lovely gardens for High Tea. We put on our posh frocks and enjoyed our tea and all the lovely cakes and sandwiches - is patisseries the right word??? 

Here are some photos of my trip to Nelson.... censured as usual as per requested by she who must not be named....


the view from mums balcony- i could sit there all day

Melrose House

me and my mum and the return of my sis

yummy high tea

being a posy dick- mark 1

much more glamorous- mark 2


While we were in Nelson we always go to the cemetery to pay our respects to our precious Grandad and Grandma- i still miss them so much and just wish that they could have still been around to help guide me and to meet my children. Since i have had my own children and also started scrapbooking my interest in my family history has grown. While we were in Riwaka where my grandparents were born we had a peek at the old house where my Grandma was born- it is still in the extended family - how i would love to have a wander through!!


The following layout features my beautiful Grandmother at the age of 16. She came from one of the wealthiest families in the area and had this photo of herself taken for her sweetheart, my Grandad, as a Christmas present. She was away at Boarding school in Nelson and he had already left school to work on the farm. He was not from the same class as Grandma, being a lowly farmer, and she was ostracised by the family after she married beneath her station - sniff- but they were very happy together and were married for 63 years till death did indeed them part!
So here she is - using some beautiful older Kaisercraft papers....

I am thinking that i might frame this one and put in pride of place in my new room once it is finished!

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Francine

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

A lovely layout and what a history behind it, so special. I must check out that high tea next time we visit Nelson, looks lovely and I've never done one.

Megs said...

The next time we head to Nelson Im off to check that place out!
I loved the story about your Grandma, and the layout is a beautiful tribute to her.
Go the new room! :)

Raewyn aka whinney said...

I am a short-time-stalker of your blog after 'meeting' you online in Dimensional Details BPC class. I always enjoying looking at your photos (or your family adventures and layouts alike). I have an aunty living in Riwaka, she married a Barry Jenkins who has since passed on and she used to run Walnut Cottage (B&B) but has now moved into the cottage herself. I would like to visit there one day as I have heard it is a lovely place. Anyway happy scrapping in 2013 and please keep blogging. Raewyn

Dianne H said...

Special times and memories. Love the layout and yes it would definitely be special to have it framed and in your new room. I have a canvas series of my Grandma on my wall and I still love having it there after about 5 years. Happy Scrapping

Anonymous said...

Hey! I desired to ask if you ever have got issues with hackers?
My continue web site (wp) appeared to be hacked so i found themselves burning off months regarding diligence due to absolutely
no copy. Have you got every answers to cease cyberpunks?
Feel free to visit my web site ; Instant Car Insurance